Monday Made It {July 21}



How has your week been?  I've been busy...not with too many crafty things (just the two below). Instead, I've been busy moving my in-laws into their new home in my hometown!  They moved to South Carolina from Oklahoma and we are so happy to have them here!
When I wasn't helping unpack, I was able to create two "Made Its" this week.  Funny thing...neither one is for me.

The first one was a favor for a friend who needed me to cut some numbers on my Silhouette.  She made this awesome ruler to use to track her daughter's growth.  I just cut out the numbers. But, she's allowing me to count it as one of my Made Its...Holla, Stacy!
How adorable?


This is another project created on my Silhouette.  Another friend, Jennifer, wanted me to cut out the words "Instagram Books" so that she can use it on a bulletin board where her students will "post" about which books they are reading.  When the entire board is put together, I'll share that with you, too.  She is so creative and it looks FAB-U-LOUS.    But, here are the letters:

I want to share with you a few tips on how to create this on your Silhouette if you are interested.

First off, did you know that the word "Instagram" was actually enhanced a little bit back in 2013 to look a little different.  Here are the differences:
Picture source: http://www.adweek.com/adfreak/instagram-refreshes-logo-becoming-instagram-instead-gnstagram-149127
Therefore, the word "Instagram" as it looks now, isn't a font.  To create the word on the Silhouette wasn't as simple as typing in the word and hitting "cut".  Instead, I had to find the image, save it as a png, load it into the software, modify it...etc.

It's easier to explain in pictures. After I found the image above, I saved it as a png.  I opened up the Software and opened the image.  Once it was on the screen, I used the following steps to get the image ready to cut.









 After a lot of trial and error, I was able to finally get it!  I hope this little tutorial can help you out.  By the way, this is the same method you would use for pictures, too.  If you don't want a ton of those extra lines that show up, you have to unclick the "High Pass Filter".  It is automatically defaulted to have that checked...so uncheck and you won't pull out your hair!!

And finally....this is my project for this week:
I finished weeks 1-27.  I'll be finishing up weeks 28-36 this week (and maybe next week).  I hope to have this ready for everyone looking for the 5th grade version by the beginning of August...I think I can, I think I can....


Now, I'm off to my new school to do some organizing and measuring for window curtains!

Have a great week!


16 comments

  1. Thanks for the tips on the Silhouette, Elizabeth! I don't have one, but my bestie does. She's just learning how to use hers, so I will have to pass this on to her! How fun that you will have family close by! That is always nice!
    Alison
    Rockin' and Lovin' Learnin'

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Alison! I hope this can help your friend :) We now have both sets of parents here in my hometown, so we are very happy :)

      Delete
  2. That ruler is great! I love how you're cutting stuff out for your friends. One of my friends did that for me once and it was awesome. :) I started reading the Instagram how to and I was like woah...WAY OVER MY HEAD! If I need help with that in the future, I know where to find you.

    Meredith
    Creativity to the Core

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL :) That's what I thought at first, too!

      Delete
  3. I'm so proud of you for finishing your product!!! I also have my 40 mentor text lessons that I'm finishing this week. We can pray for each other's sanity. ;-)
    xoxo
    Jivey

    ReplyDelete
  4. The ruler is fabulous! I marked my children's growth on a door facing in my laundry room. If we ever move we will have to take the facing down and replace it- because those marks are precious!
    Carol
    Teachers Are Terrific!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't have any kids yet...but that ruler is adorable! You just blew my mind with what the Silhouette can do. I haven't tried to cut anything besides simple fonts. Thanks to your tutorial, I may need to break mine out and experiment.
    The Traveling Teacher

    ReplyDelete
  6. I absolutely love the ruler! I don't have a Silhouette, but I have a Cricut. I am learning how to use it. Is there a big difference between the two?

    Mary
    Fit to be Fourth

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the Instagram board idea. I wish I had seen the ruler about 17 years ago. My oldest just measured 6'2... Time flies.
    Mrs. Brown Loves Bookworms

    ReplyDelete
  8. That ruler is awesome!! And now your post is really making me what to get a Silhouette!!
    ~Katie

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you so much for sharing the Silhouette tips. I love my silhouette but I have struggled with it at times. I cannot wait to try this out!!

    ~ Sandy ~
    Lessons in the Sand

    ReplyDelete
  10. Elizabeth, you work on a Mac, right? Do you use Powerpoint to create things? That's what I use and I want a Mac, but have read about lots of crashing in Word. Any insight from you or anyone?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, I work on a PC. I do use Powerpoint to create most things. I've heard that the Microsoft programs are messing up on the newer high-resolution Macbooks. But, I'm really not sure.

      Delete
  11. I'm loving that ruler. I've always wanted a silhouette. Thanks for the tutorial

    ReplyDelete